Friday, November 1, 2013

Why International? Why China?

I have already been asked these questions by many people. Why international when there are so many children available domestically? And why China? They are very good and honest questions. Ones I wish I could answer in better words.  Maybe I'll be able to write a better answer.
When we first started considering adoption this is one of the first things we had to consider. Did we want to adopt domestically, infant adoption or foster adopt, or internationally? And it's been a very hard decision to make. Paul, being new to this whole idea and knowing that I've dreamt of adopting for a while, was willing to lean where my heart led, where I had a longing for. He says "A child in need, is a child in need. No matter where they are from." We would go back and forth. I have changed my mind several times, leaned one way, then another. We even took a foster and adoption orientation class, just to gain more information and see where things would lead. I have a heart for orphans everywhere. Every personal story, whether domestic or international, breaks my heart. I know the statistics, I've seen the faces, and I know that our family can make a difference in many different ways, not just by adopting.
But, I feel a tug at my heart for orphan girls in China. I've had a longing to adopt one of those girls since I was a teenager and heard of the plight of girls in China because of the one child law. Many things have since changed in China. More domestic adoptions occur there and more people can afford to pay the penalties to have more than one child. They have gone from the most popular place for Americans to adopt infants girls from internationally to a program more focused on waiting child adoptions, children that are older or have some type of special need (often minor).
But, every time I would lean toward doing another type of adoption, something that made more logical sense, something cheaper, etc., something would always tug my heart back to China. I believe that something is God. I think God gives us those dreams, those longings, to help us make those difficult decisions. He gives everyone different abilities, gifts, longings and dreams so that we can do His work all over the world. He doesn't just want us to make a difference and spread the gospel in our own back yard. He wants us to "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation" Mark 16:15. So, He leads His people in all different directions.
So, ultimately, it came down to where do we feel led to go? I believe we are being led to China. Can things change along the way? Sure! But, we are going to explore this option until we accomplish our goal of having our little girl come home from China or it becomes apparent that God wants us to go in another direction. I know he has a plan for us and for all the orphans out there in the world. Jeremiah 29:11 "'For I know the plans I have for you', declares the Lord, ' plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future.'" So, I'm excited to see where he places us in the end. I'm sure it will be an exciting journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment